Thursday, October 06, 2005

My Orchids


I love orchids. I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and I plan to use this blog to archive my photos of my own flowering orchids.
The above photo is of my Dendrobium farmerii which is flowering right now in October. It reminds me of fried eggs. The flowers are quite small and hang down from a hanging basket.
I have a large shadehouse in my back garden which houses about 300 orchids. That's not many by some orchid grower's standards here in Brisbane. But it's enough for someone who works full time in an office in the city!
I usually have one or two orchids in flower at any one time. I always take a photo and I keep a list of all the orchids I own too.
I am an amateur but I have been growing them since I moved to Brisbane from South Australia about 12 years ago. I was a member of the Pine Rivers Orchid Society but I found it difficult to attend a meeting till 10pm at night while I'm working- even one night a month.
So now I just grow orchids but I'm not in a club. It's a solitary hobby for me - but that's ok. After a hard week at the office there's nothing I like better than time in the shadehouse with just the dog sniffing around for company. I water and fertilise, repot and trim dead foliage and swear loudly if I find any buds chewed off!
And there's nothing better than walking in after a few days and finding new flowers!

Lynda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home